South Carolinians Can Apply for up to $7500 in Rental Assistance
Community Owners Can Help Residents Apply Online
January 27, 2021
At a Glance:
• A new rental assistance program is beginning on February 15, 2021
• The program is first come, first served
• Tenants should submit forms ASAP to get an early place in the queue
• Forms can be accessed at this link
Congress has passed a COVID-19 relief package that provides funds for assisting tenants who are behind on their rent.
The package allocates $25 million to help South Carolina families and individuals pay their rent and utility bills while also helping rental property owners continue to cover their costs.
Landlords may apply directly for rental assistance on behalf of their residents as long as they have the tenant’s consent.
The program is titled SCStay and is scheduled begin on February 15 and operate until December 21. Although, like many similar programs, it is likely the funds will run out before the December date.
Residents are helped on a first come, first served basis, so it is important that members get their tenants in need signed up now. Even though the program does not start until February 15, renters can submit applications now to get an early place in the queue.
SC Housing will select non-profit organizations around the state to act as “processors.”
The list of processors will be published on Jan 29 and use their websites (and other means) to take applications from individuals seeking assistance then contact the applicants and assess their need.
Some restrictions and rules for the program have already been shared, but more may be put in place as the program is developed further. These include:
- No individual can receive in excess of $7500.
- Program participation last no more than 6 months.
- It is not yet clear, but it is likely assistance will only pay for back rent, not future rent.
- First come, first served. So, when each region runs out of money, the assistance for that region will end (unless Congress decides to replenish the program.)
Those wishing to apply can go to https://www.schousing.com/Home/SC-Stay and fill out the form at the bottom of the page to put their names into a queue and to be contacted by one of the processors when the program officially starts.