Skip to content

Business In SC

MHISC Online CE Course

Doing Business in South Carolina

Course Content Review

Licensing Requirements

Manufactured Home Sales

Anyone who buys, sells, or deals in 3 or more manufactured homes in any 12-month period (not calendar year) must have a dealer’s license.

Authorized Official

An authorized official is anyone acting on behalf of a dealer. They must have a salespersons license. This can either be a single-lot salesperson or a multi-lot salesperson. Multi-lot salespersons can work at any lot under their listed dealer.

Independent Contractors

There are three type of licenses for independent contractors: repairer, installer, and contractor. An installer is only licensed to set a home and a repairer can only do warranty repairs. Someone with a contractor license can do both repairs and installation for manufactured homes

Manufactured Home Labeling

HUD Label

The HUD label is placed on each section of the home and cannot legally be removed. This label certifies that the home has been approved by HUD.

Data Plate

The data plate is placed at any readily available place in the house. The data plate lists the plant info, date of manufacture, full serial number, the agency that approved the design of the home, all appliances shipped with the home, and the wind zone.

Travel Restrictions

Weekly and Holiday Limits

Manufactured homes can never be transported on a Sunday. Homes cannot be transported on specific holidays: New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. On restricted holidays, the home cannot be moved 12 hours before the day, the 24 hours of the day, and 12 hours after the day. Additionally, Homes cannot be moved Friday and Saturday from Memorial Day through Labor Day in the Myrtle Beach area.

Speed Limits

The speed limit on non-interstate highways is 45mph. The speed limit on the interstate is either 10mph below the posted limit or 55mph, whichever is lower.


Purchase Agreement

All sales must include a Form 500, also known as a purchase agreement. Anything agreed upon in the deal must be listed in this agreement.


A customer can back out of the deal at any time. If there is a purchase agreement, the dealer can only keep reasonable funds that they have spent on the deal. If there is not a valid agreement, the dealer cannot keep any money.


Minimum Requirements

A dealer may not sell an uninhabitable home for occupation “as is”. To be considered habitable, a home must have: sanitary facilities, hot and cold water supply, water heating facility, heating facility, cooking equipment, smoke detector, windows, ventilation, electric service, exterior walls, roof, window sash, interior floors, walls, and ceiling.

© 2020 Manufactured Housing Institute of South Carolina

This course is not available on mobile